Tuesday, June 22, 2010

MTC

Today was D-Day. We woke up early and packed up our stuff in preparation for the drive to Provo. About 7a Steve Phelps showed up at our door with fresh squeezed orange juice. I love that guy. Jane Lewis also came by with a CD and a nice card. We have tremendous friends. We learned from the news that Highway 89 is closed because of forest fires. The options are to take the detour through the Grand Canyon or travel through Las Vegas. We opted for Las Vegas. Maxine and Bob are traveling with us in a separate car. At around 9:30p and 700 miles later we arrive at the MTC. The sign outside states “Missionaries, Invited Guests and Employees only”. Julie suggested that I check us in at the MTC. I was welcomed by a returned missionary, about 25 years of age, who had a huge smile on his face. I identified myself and he knew that we had been called to preside over the Kennewick Washington Mission. He gave me a packet of information, including our missionary badges, and gave me a map to the Marriott hotel where we would be staying the next 5 nights. Apparently, the MTC is experiencing some remodeling and some of the mission presidents have been assigned to hotel rooms. I went back out to the car and told Julie a little fib. I told her that I had wonderful news. That our room at the MTC would be adjacent to the full-time Elders who were assigned to our mission. She tried to act excited but I could tell it was not the news she was hoping to hear. I showed her the map designating the Marriott. That brought a big smile to her face. We hauled up all of our stuff and immediately fell asleep. That was one long day. It has been one long week. In fact, it has been a long month. Make that a long six months. --Len